Friday 14 October 2011

This made me think. The film - The Great Dictator, made in 1940, by Charlie Chaplin. The famous slapstick and comedy writer. A little bit of background research would tell you that he was advised against releasing it - a satire on Adolf Hitler. The film itself is hilarious, as only Chaplin can be. But it is the speech at the end that truly made me think. Today, Europe doesn't really suffer under the wrath of a tyrant, but people do, somewhere in the world. I used to believe in the old system, purely because I thought mankind was only good for that. It could not do better, we are all wrong, we are all selfish. I am starting to think I'm wrong. Am I no longer a cynic? Balls to that, cynics get the best jokes. But freedom is something every single person should have, but they don't. They don't because they are different, they are poor. They are black, white, christian. Muslim, Jewish, anything. Humanity and there will never be anyone like the next person you see. You walk down the street and the person you first see is the rarest sight - you will never see anything like them again. We preserve species because they are unique and rare - why not preserve eachother? Not for the good of a 'race', for the good of 'all'.

No comments:

Post a Comment